Monday 13 May 2013

Nettle soup

I love this simple spring soup, it really is a 'something for nothing' dish.

To make this soup you need a good hearty stock base, you could use cubes but I like to make my own, it feels very virtuous.

My basic stock recipe is left over roast bones (I used the carcass from a  barbecued chicken here) 2 carrots topped and split, one onion split with the skin left on and a few sticks of celery, I add a bay leaf and a few sprigs of thyme along with about 10 whole peppercorns and enough cold water to just cover the bones.  I bring to the boil, skim and then simmer for a few hours before straining, I never salt until I know how I'm going to use the stock and how much I'm going to reduce it, much more flexible that way...  For example, I used this stock to cook a piece of home cured beef before reserving it for this recipe, it added more flavour but I was very glad that I hadn't salted the stock before I'd started.

Ingredients

1 litre of good strong stock
Equal volume of fresh stinging nettle tips (best in spring for flavour and avoiding stalks as they can be very fibrous)

Directions

1) Bring the stock to the boil and add the washed nettles, return to the boil and simmer a couple of minutes, no longer or you may lose the wonderful colour.  Blitz, strain through muslin if you want it to be posh, adjust the seasoning and serve.

That's it, nowt to it.

The flavour's wonderful, very green, a little like peppery watercress or rocket and quite herbal.  I'd urge anyone to try it, it will really surprise you, just take precautions and wear gloves when you're picking those stingers...

Please, enjoy and share!


2 comments:

  1. I've been stung so often I just can't imagine eating it. I will have to give it a go though as it seems really simple to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really simple and they don't sting once cooked, they just have a delicious unique flavour. Make sure that you wear gloves and long sleeves when picking!

    Don't be squeamish....

    ReplyDelete