Thursday 25 June 2015

My pork butchery masterclass at the Olive Branch in Clipsham

I was bought this rather intriguing half day course as a gift and I have to say that I really wasn't sure what to expect as I pulled into the 'posh pub' car park in Rutland at 8AM.

I was met with some very welcome coffee and pastries and took a seat at the bar awaiting Sean Hope, the head chef and my tutor for the morning.

As soon as Sean arrived we got off to a promising start, he asked me what my experience level was  and what I wanted to get out of the course.  I discovered that we'd be working with half an orchard reared free range pig sourced from Smithfield and we talked stock making, seasoning (interestingly he eschews pepper for largely salt and herbal vinegars) and cooking.

We walked through to the hallowed turf of the restaurant's meat prep area and I met my half pig, for the next five hours Sean taught me 1:1 how to butcher said carcass into chops, joints, fillet, rack and interesting small seam butchered cuts from the leg (something I always struggle to cook as a large joint).  Throughout this 5 hours Sean not only taught me butchery but we discussed every facet of cooking this beast and others and he shared many anecdotes from his career, finishing with preparing a trotter for the classic 'Pierre Kofmann' dish as we'd be chatting about it earlier.

After an incredible morning I left with my entire half pig butchered as I wanted it and vac packed, a delicious brawn cooked by Sean and a pot of dripping ready rendered, along with some recipe sheets on how to cook my cuts 'Olive Branch' style.

I had an incredible time just picking Sean's brain over various cooking techniques and recipes and learnt a huge amount of butchery in the process, not to mention all of the delicious pork that I brought home!

I would heartily recommend this course to anyone with an interest in food or cookery, Sean's a passionate foodie and more than willing to share his many tricks and tips.  At £75 this 'alternative spa day' as Sean refers to it, is incredible value for money.

2 comments:

  1. Glad the course was of interest and benefit to you. Hope you were able to mention www.rangerpigs.com Only 20 miles down the road with the Ranger herd of Tamworth Porkers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know Bob, I am also a big fan of your pork!

      Delete